March 14, 2008

"Rocketpack Dreams" -Thaddeus

There's a passage in the Bible where St. Paul writes: "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

I hate that passage.

Now I'm sure, since I've never really read scripture, that I am somehow missing a greater context or symbolism or one of those other deep, meaningful things that I'm frequently too thick to pick up on... but the idea that what you are as a child isn't useful anymore when you're an adult is utter foolishness to me.

There's a place, in our hearts and our minds, where we go and while we're there we know that anything is possible -- that, with mere human hands, things of the imagination can be made real.

I believe in heroes because I believed in them as a child. I believe in flight and robots and aliens. I believe there's nothing we can't beat.

...

Dave Stevens died this earlier week.

Stevens created The Rocketeer. He did storyboards for "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and for Michael Jackson's "Thriller."

The movie "The Rocketeer" is one of those things that stuck with me. Sure it wasn't a broad, commercial success, but it worked fine for me. Flight is one of those things that will win me over real easy. Flight and fighting Nazis.

Recently, one of my friends found a collection of "Rocketeer" comics. I read them and I watched the movie again and it was still magic.

We shouldn't let go of adventure, of our dreams, just because we're taller and have to buy our own food now.

Dave Stevens was a guy who gave me more to wish for and dream about, and so, in his honor, I'm telling all of you to take some time this weekend to look back at the things that lit a fire under your own imagination.

-Thad out

No comments: