June 27, 2008

"Hancock"

There's something in the construction of the universe that, when the invisible waves of cosmic energy strike the earth with just the right angle and force, you're able to see a movie way before everyone else. I'd go more into detail, but I haven't taken a physics class since high school.

"Hancock" opens on July 2, but I'll tell you right now that it's worth seeing. Isn't knowing in advance a wonderful thing? That's the sweet flavor of professionalism, baby. And ain't it grand...

If you've missed the TV ads, "Hancock" is the story of an alcoholic bastard of a superhero named John Hancock. It stands as an answer to many a question regarding what would happen if Superman wasn't so damn nice all the time.

Along for the ride is Ray Embrey (Jason Bateman), a PR agent and all-around nice guy who, after being saved by Hancock, decides to reinvent the hero for the better. His wife (Charlize Theron) and son (Jae Head) have opposing views of this, the son's being "Awesome!" and the wife's being the extreme opposite of that.

Have you even noticed that Will Smith is one of those actors who makes his roles seem like they were written just for him? Well, that happens here. When we first meet Hancock, all we see is drunk and angry, but as the story progresses we see more of the closed-off lonesomeness behind it all.

If you don't know this already, and even if you do, Jason Bateman is a comedic mastermind. I first got to know him on "Arrested Development," which is absolutely the funniest show I never saw until after it was canceled. Having him stealing scenes from Will Smith in a summer blockbuster makes me quite happy. Though I suppose stealing is the wrong word, because the cast works great together. Good ensemble, y'know?

Charlize Theron is pretty severe... but in a good way. I don't know that I've seen her in much before this, though she did guest star in a run of "Arrested Development" and yes this is my none-too-subtle way of hocking the show at you all. It's good.

The effects in "Hancock" are pretty spectacular, as well. They give a lot of focus to flight and I'm fine with that. Show me a person who has never wished they could fly and I'll show you a either liar or a soulless automaton from an apocalyptic future. But things get broken left and right in supercool ways too, and I think everyone can get behind that.

The only fault I found, and this is just me picking nits, was that there was shit that went down that was never really explained... but that didn't come up in my head until after the movie. It was too totally sweet at the time to appropriately question. But then again, one of the writers used to work on "The X-Files," so I guess weirdness just ought to be expected.

So, chalk "Hancock" up as another victory in this great summer of movies. Catch it next week, y'know... when it opens.

...

Even though I've seen it already.

4.5 out of 5

-Thad out



P.S. - If you want to check out my other review of "Hancock" for some weird reason, check out my, er... 'blog' (I hate that word) at inkkc.com. That's right: it was so cool I wrote it up twice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had me at 'alcoholic superhero'.

It's the one thing Iron man disappointed on. I love flawed heroes.

Then again, I'm still suspicious of your taste. :)

Beth Brown said...

Man whomever got you into that early screening must rock!!!

Both reviews were very well written T! Can't wait to hear your reviews on Buffman and Wrench!

-Sis