April 30, 2008

The Slow, Repeating Death of Indignance -Thaddeus

The world makes me so angry.

In part, it's what makes me happy with being a self-important, neuroses-ridden shut-in. I look at the world outside, or on the news, and think: "That's not where I live, I'm seperate from that," but it is and I'm not and it sucks and what the hell can I do?

There are problems -- great, glaring problems -- in America today. And through all the frustration, and screeching and doubt, I'm left with one question above and beyond all others: How do we fix it!?

Jeremiah showed me "Sicko," the documentary on the American medical system by the infamous rotund raconteur, Michael Moore, last weekend. It, or rather its subject matter, is what's put me in this awful state.

But that's not the movie's fault, I knew the system was awful just from observing my familiy and various people I know. "Sicko" just rubs your nose in it.

Kloiber describes Moore's films as audio/visual op-ed pieces rather than true documentaries, and that's as apt a description as you're likely to find. Of course he has an agenda, he's Michael-Goddamn-Moore. So if you're looking for straight-laced, even-handedness, well... you won't find it here. And that's OK, because this is not an OK situation. We need a jackass with a megaphone to tell people horrible things.

After the introduction's homeland horror stories of painful choices (such as choosing which finger to keep) and lost hope (perhaps from losing your home and moving in with your children because of medical costs), Moore leads us through countries like Canada, Britain, France and Cuba, showing us successful examples of socialized medicine from the perspectives of foreign citizens, expatriate Americans and the doctors that work in those systems.

Put simply: the doctors help people and the people don't pay.

I mean, of course they pay for it through taxes, but that's it. No co-pays, no triple-digit drug costs, no loop holes or cutbacks. It seems... nice.

Don't get me wrong, I love America and all. It's great... on paper. In theory. If you read the Constitution or the Declaration of Independence, it's beautiful. Ideas hundreds of years past their youth still shine, as brilliant as ever. So why are we flailing about and suffering? Why are we running ourselves into the ground? How do you change it? How do we make our world better?

There must be a way. We're supposed to have the power. Vox populi and all that... but who do you talk to? Where do you line up? Who's going to listen?

Who even cares?

Films like "Sicko" are great for stoking a fire but, in the end, it's like flash paper. Sure, these issues and angers are flaring up in my head, all bright and loud, and knowing how bad things are in what I've always been told is the greatest country on Earth is uncomfortable, it's frustrating, but the worst part of all is that I know these feelings won't last.

Eventually, I'll roll back into apathy. I'll still know these things, somewhere in the back of my head, but what is knowledge if it isn't used? Just an insignificant flicker that no one can see or hear, a page in a book left unopened.

I could just about cry.

Watch "Sicko" if you're ready to be angry, but steel yourself because it offers no solutions; it shows us where to go but not how to get there. It's sensational and informative and that's it.

As for me, I'll vote in November and... I don't know. What else is there to do?

3.5 / 5

-Thad out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mr. T,
Aspire to be more involved please. The rest of the country is taking to the task of working on not handing this health care mess down to their children and grandchildren.

Cuba opened my eyes. If a poor country can help American Citizen's who are sick as a casualty of responding to a terrorist attack, why can't we?

The bottom line is you were given a view the media doesn't show you of the casualties of our health care system. Now you have to vote with that in mind and also work to discuss with others and perhaps even join Health Care Now or some other organization to stay informed.

As citizen's, it's everyone's responsibility to make this a better country.

Reggie Cervantes
WTC Rescue Worker Survivor
Cuba segment, Sicko
ClipedWingAngel@yahoo.com

Unknown said...

Thad-

You are a gifted writer and I have enjoyed your piece. Thank you for sharing what is in that tall head of yours

Jamie Darrah